movies watched - 6

movies that made Joy cry - 0

movies that Joy fell asleep during - 4

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Raging Bull Durham

I had it in my head that Raging Bull was about baseball, because I've seen Bull Durham. Intellectually I knew the connection had no basis, but whenever I guessed what RB was about, that's what would come to mind. I was actually pleasantly surprised that it is indeed, to some extent, a sports movie.

We had this blue-ray disc on our shelf for months. I kept declining when Todd suggested we watch it. Well, we finally did and I loved it. This is the best movie so far, hands down. (I actually bumped The Godfather and Casablanca down half a point because I liked this one so much.)

I loved the story, the way the movie was shot, the acting...everything. I have a new-found respect for Joe Pesci, and seeing Cathy Moriarty was awesome -- I didn't know she was in this movie, and had previously only known her from another classic, Soapdish. (Sally Field, Kevin Kline, Robert Downey, Jr., and Teri Hatcher in this campy big screen portrayal of a soap set? Hilarity.)

The scene when Sugar Ray Robinson has LaMotta up against the ropes but LaMotta won't go down -- loved what Scorsese did there with the perspective, the slow motion, down to Vikki LaMotta watching in the audience. Robert De Niro's performance was tremendous. And I can never get over the weight gains and losses that actors go through for roles. Jake LaMotta, in the 60s, without a shirt on? Oh my.

Could my appreciation for the movie have anything to do with it's 1980 release date? (cross reference: my first post mentions I don't usually bother with movies made before I was born.) We'll see as we continue. I'm reinvigorated to pick up this project. Up next: Singin' in the Rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment